Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Camping

I went camping this past weekend.  It was a fun trip, though it wasn't as arduous as usual.  In fact, I felt kind of guilty because it wasn't even hard at all, but that's another story.

We, me and my family, went camping in upstate NJ, High Point, with some other families.  Though they were of the religious persuasion, the only duties we had to perform were to thank God for our food before eating and reading a passage from a book about living in harmony with nature.

While I didn't do much reflecting while on the trip, the drive to and fro left plenty of time for ruminations.  While I agree that nature is beautiful and all, I can't help but think that it is quite fragile and possibly even flawed.  I almost felt guilty for swatting mosquitoes just for feeding on me.  Almost.  Luckily we spotted a medium small black bear in the woods.  It wasn't 20 feet away and walked right by our campsite.  Pretty awesome.

But that's where I have some questions.  Wouldn't nature be better if eating and sleeping were optional?  If you are lacking in either of these, it is pretty hard to function at all.  And what about gravity?  I thought about this last night when I was in bed, tired as hell.  I felt like I was pulling 2 or 3 g's just lying there.  I can't say why, but I have a gut feeling that gravity is the key to everything.  More on this later...if I can ever put that gut feeling into words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts