Friday, November 14, 2008

Why Does the Stock Market Need to be Real-Time?

Does John Q. Public even know why there is an NYSE?  I didn't really know until a few years ago.  I just figured it was a way to gauge the economy or something like that. Stock prices seemed pretty arbitrary as far as I could tell.  Then I learned about the different types of indexes (price weighted, cap weighted), etc. and started following companies. I forget why, but I once had an assignment in grade school to pick a stock. That's all I remember.

Does the value of a company really change minute by minute?  What would the implications of capitalizing a stock via postal mail?  If I want to own part of a company then I could mail in a request with as much money as I want to invest, then they could send me a receipt.  Does that make sense or am I crazy?  Well the crazy part I know already, but does that seem plausible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts