Sunday, November 23, 2008

If I could read minds

Everyone knows the old Indian phrase, "Do not judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins."  It is a simple concept, but what really goes on in people's heads?  I really wonder.  I'm driving down the road, on my way to get gas and my mind wanders.  Then I think what would Sting be thinking about right now?  Writing a song? Doing some business transactions, etc?  You'll never be able to climb into someones head because you wouldn't be able to take the you out of them, but wouldn't it be interesting if you could read minds?  In essence, you would have to be able to process two thoughts simultaneously and that would be hard...that would be kind of cool.  You can probably do that.  Imagine two basketball players who play with each other so often that they know what the other will do before they do it.  I remember a time when I played a game of pickup basketball with my younger brother when we were kids.  We used to play all the time so we knew each other's moves.  It surprised me at how easily we could beat the other team because we could anticipate our moves and pass the ball effortlessly without any communication at all, most of the time, not even having to look.  But back to walking in another man's moccasins, it is a nice idea, but survival of the fittest has little room for empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts