Tuesday, October 14, 2008

You aren't supposed to know that

Last weekend I saw some old friends and new.  We were just talking about kids and shit and getting old.  We also talked about work and since my work is computers, naturally I had a few things to say.  At one point, some of conversation got techie and some of the people were throwing out jargon like they worked in an IT department.  Granted most of the tech people I know are in tech because it pays a lot better than their liberal arts degrees would offer and most of them don't know the difference between asp and html, but that isn't the point, at least not entirely.  At once my defense mechanism went into survival mode when someone started mentioning Linux and Google hacks.  They aren't supposed to know that stuff.  That's my domain expertise.  It is a scary day for us tech guys when John Q. Public knows everything we do about our craft.  Luckily they don't know the difference between a gigabyte and a megabyte, but it is only a matter of time.  I guess we aren't the only ones up in the middle of the night tinkering with our boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts